Garage Band Camp
Do You Want To Rock?
Garage Band Camp is a multi-week summer course designed for beginner and intermediate students, age 12 and older, to learn how to be part of a Rock Band. Participants will select and learn to perform music from a variety of genres, including Blues, Swing, Rock-n-Roll, Pop, Folk, and Hip-Hop.
Attendees will focus on an instrument of choice (Vocals, Drums, Guitar, Bass or Keys), and experiment with others (as desired). Additionally, campers will have the opportunity to use electronic percussion, MIDI controllers, virtual instruments, and world folk instruments. Campers will also be exposed to important musicians, how to set up sound equipment, and will jam with their band in a slammin’ final gig on Friday, July 21st.
The aims of the camp are to:
1) Explore music and develop interpersonal skills in a safe and supportive atmosphere.
2) Broaden and create a deeper appreciation of various musical periods and styles. Each week will have an overall musical theme that will lend itself to discussing various performers, instruments and styles, and introduce important works for campers to learn.
3) Deepen fluency on a "primary" instrument, but also to have an opportunity to work with and learn the basics of all of the main "rock band" instruments; Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums and Keys. Additionally, attendees will have a chance to use digital instruments, such as the Roland Octapad, Roli Seaboard Rise, and computer-based virtual instruments, along with various world folk instruments, including the Didgeridoo, Kalimba, Flutes, and assorted percussion.
Summer 2023 Dates:
Camp starts Monday, June 19th and goes through Thursday July 20th, with a final performance on Friday, July 21st (no camp on Tuesday, July 4th). Recognizing that summer is a popular time for vacations, the camp is structured in a way that individuals can miss a week or two for vacation, and still be able to participate in the final performance (weekly and/or daily drop ins can be accommodated, but participation in the final performance cannot be guaranteed).
Each week, campers will meet at the Mountain Boogie Studios from 9:30am-1:00pm, Monday through Thursday. Daily Schedule:
9:30-10: Gather, outline goals for the day and warm up.
10-11:30: Work on new songs.
11:30-12:30: (BYO) Lunch with a presentation/video/discussion of a particular instrument/musical style/composer/performer.
12:30-1: Go over previously learned songs.
- No prior musical experience necessary. Prior musical training or experience is helpful, but all skill levels can be accommodated.
- Age 12 and older, adults and child-parent teams are welcome.
- Campers are expected to bring a water bottle, a bagged lunch and a three ring binder.
- If interested, please indicate the primary instrument you would want to use at the camp when contacting, along with instruments you are also interested in (P=primary; Y=interest; M=possible interest; N=no interest)
Vocals___ Piano___ Guitar___ Bass Guitar___ Drums___
Electronic ___ World Folk ___
Space is limited and on a first come first serve basis. Confirmed attendees should send a list of 5 songs they would like to learn to play by June 1st. The instructor will review the lists and select songs of appropriate difficulty and instrumentation that can be worked into the program.
All 5 weeks: $750.00 ($150 per week; option to pay by installments)
Weekly: $175.00 per week
Daily drop ins: $50 per day
Please feel free to look around the website for more information on my teaching history, and do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.